Monday, September 14, 2009

Make your own Nursing Cover





With baby #4 due to make an appearance any time now (I pray, walking and being as big as a house is so not working for me) I wanted to have one of these. I am a frugal person. Didn't plan it. Not the fault of the economy, just how I have always been. If I can make it (or think I can make it/do it) I will give it a go.

These nursing covers are uber popular right now. I know I will be making one as a baby shower gift coming up in a couple months. I see them everywhere. The park, church and even in the grocery store. I wanted one too! But not for $30 plus. Yikes!


I made mine from Alexander Henry's "Sweet Cherries" fabric. I have admired this fabric for quite a long time now and even though I am having a boy I wanted something that was for me. Very rarely do I make anything for myself so this was perfect. Armed with my 40% off coupon I went to Joann's and got what I needed. Yipee! I was so excited. Smiling ear to ear. I used the tutorial found here. The directions are straight forward, easy peasy. I like that. It was my first time sewing in months (since I found out I was pregnant really) but it eased me right back into it. Like riding a bike. Now I am working on skirts and crib sheets. The materials you need are really low key as well, 1 yard of fabric, 2 1" D Rings, and boning. The boning I was able to find at wally mart one day for under $3 so I snagged it from there.


If you make one, I would love to see it. I think these things are so great. I am one of those moms that refuse to have to go and sit on a toilet to nurse my baby but I like some modestly as well. I cannot wait to use this when this little guy makes an appearance. Much better than a receiving blanket being draped over us.







1 comment:

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Stopping by from SDEC Etsy Team to say hello. I love these cover ups, wish they were around when I was BF'ing my girls :)

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker