With three kids, home-school, a business to run, dance classes to attend and another baby on the way is it any wonder that I actually own two crock pots? I love my crock pot, also known as a slow cooker.
So here is the recipe to share this week. Yummy Meatloaf and potatoes
An easy one-pot meal from the slow cooker.
- 2 pounds lean groud round or chuck
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped ( You can reduce this if you want, go by sight and what your family likes)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt ( like Mrs. Dash or just use Sea Salt which is what I use)
- 1 cup cracker crumbs or fine dry bread crumbs ( I use 1 slice of bread)
- 1 egg
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 cup milk
- 6 to 8 small potatoes, halved or quartered
Preparation:In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except potatoes. Shape into a loaf. Place in Crock Pot. Place potatoes at the sides of loaf. (If potatoes are peeled, wrap in foil to keep from darkening.) Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
Now I must say that I have never liked what has come out of my crock pot when it was cooked on high. I always cook on low. The funny thing is that my husband always seems to forget this when he comes in to help. But he is always the one that listens and will put it back on low. :)
Also as a side note. If you are worried that your kids will not eat the veggies that are going in, substitute some of them. I love to add corn to mine. I also find that when I dice up the veggies ( as long as they are not watching ) they will eat them and not say a thing.
I will be wanting to use my crock pots more often as I get closer to my due date. Does anyone have a fabulous crock pot recipe book they would like to recommend? I'd love to hear about it!