Sunday, August 17, 2008

Chickens and international shipping

Ha! Bet you thought it was shipping chickens internationally! LOL

No really it is just to help to unload some things that are heavy on my heart. It is hard to live under someone else's rule at times and I think it is also a good lesson for my three girls to have to do it. With their father and I working for ourselves they rarely see that we have someone to answer to other than the paper bills in the mail.

First off let me say that we are blessed enough to have the landlord that we do. He is a believer in Jesus, he is our friend, and he is overall a nice guy. We live on the same lot together and more often than not we eat dinner together. It is like an extended family.

Living in Ramona I thought it would be neat to get the two older girls involved in a 4-H and with chickens. They are managable and can be kept in a pen. Visions of them having fun showing at the various fairs available to them danced in my head! I will not lie. Our friend had said no roosters. So I brought home 3 chickens. Another friend was nice enough to GIVE one to each girls and these were some really cool chickens! Cochin chicken. They have feathers on their feet, they are incredibly docile and very easy to hand tame. Another benefit...they do not go nuts and try to dig their way out of their pens as they take to confinment well. This is not to say that they would only spend time there but there is a small space of side yard that they could roam and I had tied pieces of string to their legs and the girls held the other end. They also are a breed that prefer to stay on the ground so the chances of them flying away (we clipped them anyway) was slim. This was a ground loving breed that did well with children, confinment and were show birds.

In the house we had previously live in here in Ramona we have lived 2 houses down wind and they had more than 3 chickens so I was very certain that the smell would be very minimal if at all. The children would have to daily rake out the pen and dispose of the droppings much as I do the dog and cat ones. I really thought I had it under control.....

So I picked up the chickens, got a list of materials that would be needed to care for them and had the eldest run the list in to dad. No problem right, these were after all hens, not cocks. Boy was I wrong! Needless to say the chickens stayed 3 days and 2 nights. The night before we took them back my husband and I were so sick we could not eat. We waited till the girls had eaten and bathe to tell them. I think we all cried ourselves to sleep. Tearfully the chickens were returned. And still they are missed.

Someday


So now onto international shipping....


Whoo Hoo I have finally added it to my etsy shop and I am looking forward to expanding that range of business now. :)

No comments:

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker